This morning, I started watching the K-Drama Marry Him If You Dare and this song was featured. Apparently it’s a very popular song in Korea:
Mama was walking around the house and she was singing something. I couldn’t recall what the song was but since this was Mama, I’ll put in Abba’s Dancing Queen:
Then two of my friends came over and we started talking. One of the topics was about Sana Dati and how the song Indak by Up Dharma Down was just perfect for the film’s ending:
Then the conversation turned to oldies music:
And the day ended with a sudden flashback to high school and random singing and dancing to an anime theme song happened (though Free! is a very recent anime, haha):
Just putting this here to remind myself of what to do when I start getting the sniffles or coughing:
- Up your dosage of Vitamin C. Take Vitamin C tablets but also consume natural sources of Vitamin C. For me, I eat kiwi and drink lemon/calamansi juice.
- Drink lots of fluids. Keep hydrated and drink lots of water. Drinking hot herbal teas would also be good to loosen phlegm and soothe the throat. Avoid coffee and black tea as these tend to cause dehydration instead.
- Add honey and cinnamon to your diet. With my lemon/calamansi juice, I put a spoonful of pure/raw honey and a bit of cinnamon. It’s soooo yummy and comforting.
- Also have some kind of soup with ginger, onions and garlic. Piping hot chicken tinola with lots of ginger, onions and garlic is my comfort food when I have colds. Once, I also boiled some ginger, onions and garlic with a little instant noodle seasoning for a healthier version of instant chicken noodle soup.
- Spicy foods are also good. Mm, jjamphong is perfect for this. Maybe I should also get around to trying to cook tortilla soup. Spicy food helps open the sinuses and makes the nose run, which is actually good. Gross, but good.
- Keep warm and dry. Cold is awful when you have a cold. Also, don’t let sweat dry out on your back and chest.
- Cover your throat when you sleep. Or even when you’re awake if possible. It’s just another way of comforting myself.
- Use Vicks. It’s effective for me. It helps me sleep better when I have colds.
- Sleep at least 7 hours a night. Take naps during lunchbreak at work. Just get as much rest as possible.
- Take lozenges and lagundi syrup. When it gets really bad.
If things get worse after a week or so, see a doctor.
This past weekend, I made the conscious decision to start eating healthier and exercising more. While I may not be as fat as I used to be when I was in college (which was the time that I was at my fattest), I still felt that I needed to get back to healthier habits. I have already discussed taking better care of myself in a past post, but I this weekend I really sat down and thought of a plan. As my mother says, “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.”
First and foremost, I made rules for myself concerning food and my eating habits:
- Make healthier food choices. I should do my best to eat more fruits and vegetables and focus on fish and chicken for protein. I should also avoid processed foods as much as possible.
- No eating out/sweets on weekdays. There’s a lot of temptation during the weekdays, especially since I pass the Taft/St.Scho/DLSU area once I get home. I really should stop checking out restaurants after work because I end up sitting down and buying things to eat. Weekends can be cheat days, but even then I shouldn’t go crazy and eat whatever I want.
- Stick to tea and hot drinks. I have gotten back into the habit of drinking coffee again and I should cut down, I think. ‘Need to go back to drinking my teas again. No softdrinks or juices either. Iced tea is also a no-no.
- Drink more water. Water makes everything better for the most part.
- Eat at home. Or at work, since we have free food at work, haha. This way, it’s easier to control what I eat and spend money on.
- Avoid fried and fatty food. Go back to eating roasted, grilled or steamed food for the most part. Food with soups are your friends.
- PORTION CONTROL. Mahirap mag half-rice pero ‘di ito nakamamatay. Wag maging madrama. Gusto mong pumayat at maging healthy, di ba?
- Enjoy eating out with family and friends. Food is best enjoyed with others. If there is an occasion, eat what you want, but otherwise, stick to the plan.
- Never go hungry. Hunger makes the “die” in “diet” true. When you’re hungry, eat, but not too much.
As for exercise, I have decided to try my hand at yoga since I’m advised not to undertake high impact exercises. For now, I am doing it at home. I started this morning and wow, I’m apparently not as flexible as I thought I was, haha. But it was good, very relaxing but also energizing. I’ll try to do it three times a week to start and then let’s see what happens from there.
Yesterday, we set up a secret ballot at work concerning the price of exchange gifts. People were asking if we could lower the price from P500 and I think we’re going to end up with P300 as the budget. I’m not really complaining. While it’d be nice to receive something pricier, I think I’ll still love receiving something that’s worth P300 or less. I’m not that hard to please.
On Monday, we’re going to be putting up our Wish Lists and it makes me kind of excited about writing about stuff that I want to receive. I can say all I want about giving, but I have to admit, receiving stuff is always a treat. I already feel kind of sorry about my exchange gift partner because she might be receiving a novel. I was walking around a bookstore yesterday, saw the things I wanted and thought to myself, “I have a story for each and everything that I want to receive this Christmas.” Poor exchange gift partner, really. They don’t deserve my prattling to them when they’re just going to be giving me a gift, haha.
So I guess I’ll just put down what I want to say here, along with my Wish List (note that I’m not giving this whole list to my exchange gift partner as majority of this is probably worth more than P300):
- Books. Actual books, I mean. Sure, I’m getting rid of my books supposedly and transferring what I could of them to my Kindle, but I still love reading an actual book, the tree-killing kind, haha. Here are the books in the I WANT list:
- Jackie Morse Kessler’s Riders of the Apocalypse series
- The Dead That Walk edited by Stephen Jones
- The Nonexistent Knight and The Cloven Viscount by Italo Calvino
- Books by Matt Dunn
- Blood Lite: An Anthology of Humorous Horror Stories Presented by the Horror Writers Association
- Bewitching by Alex Flinn
- The Black Isle by Sandi Tan
- Ligo na U, Lapit na Me by Eros S. Atalia
- Tiktik: the Aswang Chronicles
- Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
- The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams
- The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvader
- Looking for Alaska by John Green
- The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
- Graphic T-shirts. To display my fandom affiliations. But I do value a good t-shirt, especially if they feature something from Hetalia, Supernatural, The Avengers, etc and is very durable and wearable all at the same time. Then again I’d just love a nice plain white t-shirt, too, which is a must-have that my wardrobe sorely lacks.
- A Bag. A good one. Something sturdy that I can take with me to work and anywhere else. I’ve been wanting a nice leather satchel bag forever, but I haven’t found one that I really liked yet. Backpacks and shoulder bags are also nice.
- Plushies. I never really do anything but stock them, but I have a weakness for plushies. I like stopping by stalls that sell toys and cooing over factory overrun stuffed toys that sometimes look weird but I want to get them anyway. I just like adopting the poor things. I’d love a huggable-sized Cinnamoroll plushie. He looks like this:Isn’t he cuuuuuuuute? :3 I think I mentioned a Cinnamoroll plushie a few entries back that I found near our office building. I still want to adopt the poor baby. And since it’s from an ukay-ukay, he only costs P75. But if you want to get me a new one I also won’t stop you. :3 Iron Man plushies are also welcome, haha. X3
- Shoes. Who doesn’t like more shoes? I’m not really aiming to become Imeldific here, but I think my Chucks needs a partner.
- Food. I won’t say ‘no’ to food! Heck, you can just take me to a restaurant somewhere and treat me to a breakfast/lunch/dinner and I’ll be a happy camper.
- Office Supplies. Muji is still a nice place to get me gifts, haha. Cute notebooks! I like those Korean stationery-looking notebooks with the cute designs. Also those notebooks that are not Moleskines but good enough substitutes and I adore those black notebooks with black pages. I like my gel pens with 0.3 points. I already bought a portable planner for next year, but I don’t know.
- A Coffee Mug. I think this has been a staple for a couple of years now. I just love mugs and I use them a lot anyway. Mugs that make a statement are definitely much loved.
- Fanfiction/RP/Icons/Fandom Stuff. Not fanfiction about me but of the fandoms I’m in. I have a list of stuff that I want to RP but haven’t so far. I wonder if there would be any takers… The icon glitch in DW has been fixed, but those icons can still be used!
Of course no one’s required to get me these things. I just like listing things that I would love to receive, really. It’s nice to dream. =w=
This used to hold an entry of a list of things that I am currently packing to take with me to Tagaytay. It contained about 9 items and included things like my iPod and my Kindle, you know, things I usually bring with me anyways. And this was a topic that other people have written about before in a much more enthusiastic and personal way that I now currently feel like I couldn’t. So I had to delete it.
I couldn’t handle it.
It actually felt painful and shameful that that entry existed and there was this intense, visceral, dirty feeling as I let it sit on my blog for the few minutes that it did.
I wrote it down just because it was something I was doing at the time.
I didn’t feel like writing today at all. I didn’t feel like I could do it. Nothing was coming to mind and all I wanted to do was hang out and just not think about writing anything.
So I wrote something just to say that I posted today. I typed it up quickly (no sweat at all, really) and then posted it. Even if it felt ickier and ickier as I went along. Even when it felt totally wrong and not me after I finished and clicked that blue button to the right. It was worse than posting up a picture and typing down some words under it.
At least those pictures and words, minimal as they were, actually sounded true and relevant. Something I really wanted to say and something I felt that needed to be said.
I think I’ve gone beyond blogging just for the sake of blogging now.
I realize this now and I have a feeling things will never be the same after November and NaBloPoMo.
Who would have thought?
Mine was, predictably, less productive than I would have liked, but I should really not trust that I’ll actually be productive on a Saturday when I’m not being paid for it. I even spent a part of it napping because my body said I needed it and so I succumbed. The nap, however, seemed to have worked and so I actually managed to start and finish 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I’ll have to write the review tomorrow as I still have things that I must attend to after writing this entry. Tomorrow, I’ll be going to the hospital for some blood tests and so I have to actually sleep at a decent hour. I also have to get around to finding my pair of silver stilettos as I would need them for a Christmas party soon. Hopefully I find them.
So for tomorrow, here is what I should be getting up to:
- Blood tests
- Breakfast at Manila Adventist Hospital
- Go to Mr. Quickie to get my shoes fixed
- Write review of 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
- Get started on The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- Watch The Avengers and take notes
It would be fun if I could also watch some Supernatural but I don’t know. We’ll see. And to make up for this extra short blog entry, I leave you with Captain Steve Rogers.
Good night. 😀