Just putting this here to remind myself of what to do when I start getting the sniffles or coughing:
- Up your dosage of Vitamin C. Take Vitamin C tablets but also consume natural sources of Vitamin C. For me, I eat kiwi and drink lemon/calamansi juice.
- Drink lots of fluids. Keep hydrated and drink lots of water. Drinking hot herbal teas would also be good to loosen phlegm and soothe the throat. Avoid coffee and black tea as these tend to cause dehydration instead.
- Add honey and cinnamon to your diet. With my lemon/calamansi juice, I put a spoonful of pure/raw honey and a bit of cinnamon. It’s soooo yummy and comforting.
- Also have some kind of soup with ginger, onions and garlic. Piping hot chicken tinola with lots of ginger, onions and garlic is my comfort food when I have colds. Once, I also boiled some ginger, onions and garlic with a little instant noodle seasoning for a healthier version of instant chicken noodle soup.
- Spicy foods are also good. Mm, jjamphong is perfect for this. Maybe I should also get around to trying to cook tortilla soup. Spicy food helps open the sinuses and makes the nose run, which is actually good. Gross, but good.
- Keep warm and dry. Cold is awful when you have a cold. Also, don’t let sweat dry out on your back and chest.
- Cover your throat when you sleep. Or even when you’re awake if possible. It’s just another way of comforting myself.
- Use Vicks. It’s effective for me. It helps me sleep better when I have colds.
- Sleep at least 7 hours a night. Take naps during lunchbreak at work. Just get as much rest as possible.
- Take lozenges and lagundi syrup. When it gets really bad.
If things get worse after a week or so, see a doctor.