This past weekend, I made the conscious decision to start eating healthier and exercising more. While I may not be as fat as I used to be when I was in college (which was the time that I was at my fattest), I still felt that I needed to get back to healthier habits. I have already discussed taking better care of myself in a past post, but I this weekend I really sat down and thought of a plan. As my mother says, “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.”
First and foremost, I made rules for myself concerning food and my eating habits:
- Make healthier food choices. I should do my best to eat more fruits and vegetables and focus on fish and chicken for protein. I should also avoid processed foods as much as possible.
- No eating out/sweets on weekdays. There’s a lot of temptation during the weekdays, especially since I pass the Taft/St.Scho/DLSU area once I get home. I really should stop checking out restaurants after work because I end up sitting down and buying things to eat. Weekends can be cheat days, but even then I shouldn’t go crazy and eat whatever I want.
- Stick to tea and hot drinks. I have gotten back into the habit of drinking coffee again and I should cut down, I think. ‘Need to go back to drinking my teas again. No softdrinks or juices either. Iced tea is also a no-no.
- Drink more water. Water makes everything better for the most part.
- Eat at home. Or at work, since we have free food at work, haha. This way, it’s easier to control what I eat and spend money on.
- Avoid fried and fatty food. Go back to eating roasted, grilled or steamed food for the most part. Food with soups are your friends.
- PORTION CONTROL. Mahirap mag half-rice pero ‘di ito nakamamatay. Wag maging madrama. Gusto mong pumayat at maging healthy, di ba?
- Enjoy eating out with family and friends. Food is best enjoyed with others. If there is an occasion, eat what you want, but otherwise, stick to the plan.
- Never go hungry. Hunger makes the “die” in “diet” true. When you’re hungry, eat, but not too much.
As for exercise, I have decided to try my hand at yoga since I’m advised not to undertake high impact exercises. For now, I am doing it at home. I started this morning and wow, I’m apparently not as flexible as I thought I was, haha. But it was good, very relaxing but also energizing. I’ll try to do it three times a week to start and then let’s see what happens from there.